Beet, goat cheese, and walnut salad with honey balsamic dressing is a healthy, elegant, simple side dish – that can be turned into a full meal! Gluten-free.
- 3 large beets (see notes)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roasted (see notes)
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup parsley or cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the beets. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice off the beet leaves. Wash the beets thoroughly (no need to dry) and then wrap each individual beet loosely in foil. Transfer the wrapped beets to a baking sheet and roast for 45 – 55 minutes, checking every 20 minutes, until a fork slides easily to the middle of the beet. Allow the beets to cool enough to handle. Under cool running water, peel the skin off of the beets.
- Line your cutting board with parchment paper for easy clean-up (optional). Thinly slice the beets crosswise into 1/8 inch thick rounds.
- Make the dressing. Add all ingredients to a small jar and shake until thoroughly mixed. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble. Arrange beet slices on a platter. Sprinkle with roasted walnuts and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle with dressing and top with parsley or cilantro leaves.
Beets. I like to use a mix of red and yellow beets for this dish. To save time, you can buy precooked beets in the produce aisle of the grocery store.
Walnuts. To roast the walnuts, spread them evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes. Nuts roast quickly, so set a timer! Remove and give the nuts a good shake. Return to the oven and roast for another 3 minutes (again, use a timer!) and remove from oven. You want the nuts to be a few shades darker and smell toasted. If they need more time, put back in the oven for 2-3 more minutes. Nuts usually take about 8-10 minutes (total) to roast. Immediately remove the nuts from the baking sheet and allow to cool completely on a plate.
Keywords: beet salad, beet and goat cheese salad, walnut salad