At Loveleaf Co., I’m on a mission to prove that salads have their rightful place on the table all year long. So instead of abandoning salads as soon as it’s September, I like to add seasonal vegetables and flavors to our greens.
This butternut squash and cranberry salad with maple chipotle dressing is the perfect salad for fall. Sweet, spicy and comforting, it can even be served slightly warm – just allow the roasted butternut squash to slightly wilt the baby spinach before serving. Add some roasted pork tenderloin and enjoy a holiday-worthy meal on a weeknight.Print
Butternut Squash and Cranberry Salad with Maple-Chipotle Vinaigrette
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 As A Main 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Butternut squash and cranberry salad with maple-chipotle dressing, perfect for fall. Sweet, spicy and comforting this salad is gluten-free, vegan and paleo.
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark amber or Grade B maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the peeled and cubed butternut squash onto a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove and allow to slightly cool.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. On a clean, dry baking sheet roast the pumpkin seeds for 5-10 minutes until slightly golden and fragrant. Check frequently as seeds burn easily. Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing. Whisk orange juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, chipotle and salt until smooth. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix together the squash, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and spinach. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine.
Keywords: butternut squash salad, squash salad, maple dressing
Leave a Reply