Butternut squash and cranberry salad with maple-chipotle dressing, perfect for fall. Sweet, spicy and comforting this salad is gluten-free, vegan and paleo.
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark amber or Grade B maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the peeled and cubed butternut squash onto a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove and allow to slightly cool.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. On a clean, dry baking sheet roast the pumpkin seeds for 5-10 minutes until slightly golden and fragrant. Check frequently as seeds burn easily. Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing. Whisk orange juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, chipotle and salt until smooth. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix together the squash, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and spinach. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine.
Keywords: butternut squash salad, squash salad, maple dressing