When colder months roll around, it’s easy to trade in salads for warmer (sometimes less healthy) options, but this kale and cannellini bean salad is the perfect cool weather meal.
Because kale is pretty sturdy, it can stand up to the weight of the spicy beans and warm sweet potato spirals and holds up in the fridge. To make it a full meal, add some roasted sunflower seeds for crunch and top with a protein of choice.Print
Kale and Spicy Cannellini Bean Salad with Lemon Chia Seed Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 as a main, 4 as a side. 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
A hearty, satisfyingly spicy and tangy kale salad with spiralized sweet potatoes and a lemon chia seed dressing. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, spiralized (see notes)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 10 oz Lacinato kale, stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (all-natural like Frank’s RedHot or Tessemae’s), plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds, optional
Lemon Chia Seed Dressing
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a spiralizer, spiralize the sweet potatoes, toss with melted coconut oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake 15-25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hot sauce and the drained cannellini beans and allow to marinate.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl (or mason jar for shaking), mix together all the ingredients. Massage the dressing into kale until the kale begins to soften.
- Add the beans and baked sweet potato strings to the kale and mix well to combine. Drizzle with more hot sauce and top with sunflower seeds, if desired.
I like the sweet potatoes spiralized in this recipe, using a spiralizer. If you don’t have one, just cube the sweet potatoes and roast for the same amount of time.
Keywords: kale salad, cannellini bean salad, lemon chia dressing, chia dressing
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.
Leave a Reply