There are some recipes on this little site that are so me. Meaning, a meal that I could eat every day (and sometimes do…with no complaints from me or my husband). Like these chicken shawarma bowls with tahini-yogurt sauce. They’re so simple. And healthy. And delicious. And flexible. AKA all the things I love about summer (…and strive for in life).
The tahini-yogurt sauce is the shining star of these chicken shawarma bowls. A big batch of it is almost always in my fridge, mason-jar-style, especially in the summer, to add zip to practically any meal without any fuss or stress. Tangy, creamy, lemony, and garlicky it was just made for crispy, crunchy summer veg and organic chicken.
It’s also the perfect easy dinner party / summer picnic / bringing something to a friends house meal. Make the sauce ahead of time (in 5 minutes or less, with a glass of rosé in hand, obvi), throw some chicken on the grill along with some of your favorite vegetables (red onions and zucchini would be amazing), and then serve with fresh, crispy vegetables and maybe some #gf pita. Boom. Party-ready, totally nonchalant.Print
Chicken Shawarma Bowls with Tahini-Yogurt Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
These chicken shawarma bowls with tahini-yogurt sauce are a super easy, healthy, gluten-free dinner or lunch. Made with grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, and a creamy tahini-yogurt sauce.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 4 large handfuls baby arugula or romaine lettuce
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt (ideally grass-fed or dairy-free if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the chicken thighs. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs in a single layer and cook for 6 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep the vegetables.
- Make the tahini-yogurt sauce. In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Slice the chicken thighs. To four bowls, add a large handful of baby arugula or chopped romaine lettuce. Then divide the sliced chicken, the prepped veggies, and the drained chickpeas between the four bowls. Drizzle each with tahini-yogurt sauce.
Keywords: chicken shawarma, healthy shawarma, tahini-yogurt sauce
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.
Emily Pitts says
Delicious! We used a more seasoned chicken shawarma, but followed the recipe for everything else. Loved the tahini yogurt sauce and the veggies were perfect together! Will be making this a lot this summer. Thanks!
Ally Milligan says
So happy you enjoyed and put your own spin on it! That tahini-yogurt sauce is one of my go-tos. xo Ally