I spend a lot of time thinking about saving time. It’s one of the reasons that I like meal prep so much. Because planning ahead means more freedom on weekdays (read: time to relax with a glass of wine instead of making a starving-Tuesday-night-grocery-run). While we tend to focus on lunch and dinner meal prep, making breakfast ahead of time can be life-changing too, especially if you crave slower, more intentional mornings. The kind where you have time to drink coffee, read a book, and eat a real, healthy breakfast instead of checking iPhone email, grabbing a Kind bar, and rushing out the door (…totally guilty). These chocolate, pear, and hazelnut overnight oats couldn’t be simpler to make ahead of time. Just 10 minutes on Sunday will yield five servings for the week ahead. Which means five, glorious, stress-free mornings are just waiting for you. – Ally
I like these chocolate, pear, and hazelnut overnight oats because it feels like a winter combo to me (and it’s got that Nutella-y thing going on). But get creative! The combinations are endless and can change with the seasons; play around with different flavors by omitting the cocoa powder and switching up the fruit and toppings.
A note about oats: make sure to use rolled oats as opposed to instant, quick-cooking, or steel-cut oats. Keep in mind that some rolled oats become mushier than others. If you prefer the less mushy variety (my hand is raised), my go-to brands are Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Rolled Oats or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Rolled Oats.
OTHER OVERNIGHT OATS COMBOS
Peaches and Cream
fresh peaches / coconut yogurt
coconut flakes / vanilla extract
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana
cocoa powder / sliced banana
Greek yogurt / peanut butter
pumpkin puree / toasted pecans
maple syrup / pumpkin pie spice
Fig Maple Walnut
fresh figs / maple syrup
toasted walnuts / cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking, gluten-free if desired)
- 2 - 2¼ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (depending on how thick you like your oats)
- 5 tablespoons chia seeds
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- sweetener (like maple syrup or stevia, if desired)
- 2½ cups Greek yogurt (dairy-free if desired)
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 10 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons cacao nibs, optional
- Make the base. In a bowl, mix together the oats, non-dairy milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, and sweetener (if using).
- Divide the mixture between five jars or small bowls.
- Add your layers. To each jar or bowl, add ½ cup of Greek yogurt, ⅕th of the sliced pears, and top with 2 tablespoons of roasted hazelnuts and 1 tablespoon of cacao nibs if using. Cover and place in the fridge overnight.