Za what? Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend made with thyme, sesame seeds, and lemony sumac. We add pistachios to our version because: crunch. The ways to enjoy it are endless. We’re kind of obsessed with this Za’atar Roasted Chicken and Eggplant Bowls with Green Tahini Sauce but you can add it to anything, really. Sprinkle on salads, bowls, or hummus, add to veggies before roasting, mix it into olive oil (for pita dipping), use as a rub for chicken, sprinkle on avocado toast (or sweet potato toast!) add to Greek yogurt for a spiced dip, or make roasted breakfast potatoes… the list goes on. Our go-to recipe is below but: don’t want to buy the individual ingredients? We mixed it up for you here.
Ready to join us?
- ½ cup roasted pistachios, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Chop the pistachios, if using.
- Mix together everything in a small bowl.
- Transfer to airtight containers (recycled spice jars work well) and store in a cool, dry place.