This kale and cabbage salad is inspired by Kailey Seabrooke, a holistic nutritionist, who we interviewed a few weeks ago. It’s super simple to whip up and the hearty kale and cabbage will last several days in the fridge, making it a great make-ahead salad. We topped ours with hemp hearts and a creamy toasted nutritional yeast* dressing, but Kailey’s simple cider vinegar dressing (see below) would be excellent too. Here’s Kailey’s take on making salads:
For me simple is best and prepping for success is key. In the summer, I like to boil up a batch of quinoa and pull out my food processor with a shredding plate attachment and grate a few carrots and then a few beets. I’ll chop up some purple cabbage and then I’ll put everything in separate containers in the fridge. When it’s go-time I start with a base of quinoa, a layer of whatever fresh greens I have on hand, a smattering each of beets, carrots, and cabbage, and then I’ll add anything else I have around.
Favorites here are sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, hemp hearts, and sunflower seeds. I’ll add sliced apples or raisins too if I need a touch of sweet! Then I’ll top it all off with an easy dressing. Usually, I’ll put extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and honey in a jar and give it a good shake to make it creamy before pouring it over my salad. If I’m being proactive in my prep phase I’ll make a super creamy nutritional yeast dressing!
*So what’s nutritional yeast?
Nutritional yeast is a 100% all-natural inactive yeast, which is a dietary supplement that’s rich in B vitamins. It has a pleasant, cheesy flavor and is great sprinkled on salads or used in salad dressings.
Kale and Cabbage Salad with Creamy Nutritional Yeast Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Shred
- Cuisine: American
A healthy kale and cabbage salad with creamy nutritional yeast dressing topped with cherry tomatoes and hemp hearts. Vegan, gluten-free and paleo.
- 1/2 small green or purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 bunch Lacinato kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup hemp seed hearts
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
Creamy Nutritional Yeast Dressing
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a food processor with the shredding plate attachment, shred the cabbage. If you don’t have a food processor, simply slice the cabbage thinly.
- Prepare the remaining vegetables and toss together in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing. In a skillet, toast the nutritional yeast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly browned. This should take about 5 minutes. Add the yeast into a blender with the garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and water and blend until combined. With the machine on, add the extra virgin olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing to the prepared vegetables and toss to combine. Season with more salt if necessary.
Dressing adapted from Food and Wine.
Keywords: cabbage salad, nutritional yeast dressing, kale salad
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.
Stephanie Dreyer says
This salad looks so refreshing. I can’t wait to try your dressing!!
Thanks, Stephanie! I think you’ll love it. – Ally
What is Nutritional Yeast, Why is it Good For You, and How to Use it - Cheftographer says
[…] Kale and Cabbage Salad with Creamy Nutritional Yeast Dressing by Love Leaf Co. […]