Summer is for cold, filling, leftover-worthy, salads and this lentil potato salad with smoky paprika dressing is just that. One that you can make for an outdoor party or barbecue and enjoy for lunch the next day (shhh, it’s even better after a night in the fridge).
This salad is inspired by my friend Lindsay Cameron Wilson, whose go-to “working from home” salad involves potatoes, kale, tangy cheese, sunflower seeds, and a drizzle of her now-famous flavor bomb chive oil. More tips and tricks from Lindsay on sparking joy in the kitchen here.Print
This lentil potato salad with red peppers and smoky paprika dressing is the perfect summer salad to feed a crowd! Vegan and gluten-free.
Smoky Paprika Dressing
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more to garnish
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Lentils & Potatoes
- 3/4 cup dried French green lentils (aka lentils du Puy)
- 1/2 lb fingerling potatoes
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (jarred), drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 3 oz baby kale (more if desired)
- 2/3 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- chive oil, optional
- salt to taste
- Make the smoky paprika dressing. Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the lentils. Thoroughly rinse the lentils under running water. Combine the lentils and 3/4 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring the water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Add water as needed to make sure the lentils are just barely covered. Lentils are cooked as soon as they are tender and no longer crunchy. Strain the lentils and return to the pan. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook the potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover by about 3 inches. Stir in 1 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Once cool, slice the potatoes into coins.
- Assemble the salad. Mix together the cooked lentils, sliced potatoes, chopped roasted red peppers, drained capers, chopped onion, and baby kale. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Before serving, add the sunflower seeds, scallions, and goat cheese, reserving some for garnish if desired. Add additional salt to taste.
Keywords: lentil salad, lentil potato salad, paprika dressing