This orange and almond black rice salad with soy ginger vinaigrette is full of flavor and texture. If you’re like me and need a break from all the heavy winter foods, this salad will be satisfying.
This black rice salad is filling, but full of light and crunchy veggies, like cabbage, snap peas and scallions. Along with the roasted almonds, the sesame clusters give the salad another dimension, making it heartier and more filling than most. Perfect as a main dish.Print
Orange and Almond Black Rice Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 as a main, 6 as a side. 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Orange and almond black rice salad is served with snap peas, cabbage and ginger-soy vinaigrette, full of flavor and crunch. Gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 cup black rice (aka Forbidden Rice)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced in half
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 small bunch scallions (reserve 2 for the dressing), thinly sliced
- 1 large orange or 2 clementines, peeled, separated, seeds removed and sliced in half
- ½ cup roasted, salted almonds
- 1 small red chile (mild-medium depending on preference), chopped
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 green onions (from small bunch for the salad)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey (see note)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Make the rice. Cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Make the sesame clusters. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until slightly foamy; whisk in sugar, sea salt, and five spice powder. Add sesame seeds and toss to coat. Spoon sesame mixture in clumps on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the vinaigrette. Add all ingredients except the olive oil into a high-speed blender until well combined. Turn to a low speed and slowly add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Assemble. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients (except for the sesame clusters) to the cooled rice. Pour the vinaigrette over and toss to coat. When ready to serve, add in desired amount of sesame clusters. For vegans, simply sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Make it vegan! Omit the sesame clusters and add about ½ cup of toasted sesame seeds to the salad before serving. Replace the honey with another liquid sweetener, like agave syrup or maple syrup. Sesame clusters adapted from Bon Appétit.
Keywords: black rice salad, rice salad
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.
Leave a Reply