Orange and almond black rice salad is served with snap peas, cabbage and ginger-soy vinaigrette, full of flavor and crunch. Gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 cup black rice (aka Forbidden Rice)
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, sliced in half
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 small bunch scallions (reserve 2 for the dressing), thinly sliced
- 1 large orange or 2 clementines, peeled, separated, seeds removed and sliced in half
- ½ cup roasted, salted almonds
- 1 small red chile (mild-medium depending on preference), chopped
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup raw sesame seeds
- Make the rice. Cook according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Make the sesame clusters. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until slightly foamy; whisk in sugar, sea salt, and five spice powder. Add sesame seeds and toss to coat. Spoon sesame mixture in clumps on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the vinaigrette. Add all ingredients except the olive oil into a high-speed blender until well combined. Turn to a low speed and slowly add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Assemble. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients (except for the sesame clusters) to the cooled rice. Pour the vinaigrette over and toss to coat. When ready to serve, add in desired amount of sesame clusters. For vegans, simply sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Make it vegan! Omit the sesame clusters and add about ½ cup of toasted sesame seeds to the salad before serving. Replace the honey with another liquid sweetener, like agave syrup or maple syrup. Sesame clusters adapted from Bon Appétit.
Keywords: black rice salad, rice salad