Southwestern Burger Bowls with Avocado Goddess Dressing
These Southwestern burger bowls with avocado goddess dressing are the perfect meal to move out of summer and into #reallife. They’re chock full of summery produce but are easily packable. Meaning, you can meal prep a big batch and bring them to work all week. Just pretend that water bottle is filled with rosé and it’s like summer never ended.
MEAL PREP CONTAINERS
For meal prep instructions, see the notes at the end of the recipe. These Glasslock Meal Prep Containers are my favorite but any leak-proof containers will do. Only have one container to bring to work? Keep all the ingredients separate in the fridge and then assemble the bowls right before eating or leaving for work in the morning. Just remember to keep the avocado dressing separate until ready to eat (#nosoggysalads).
HERBY TURKEY BURGERS
These are freezable! Make use of all the extra herbs by making a double (or triple) batch. Simply cook the burgers according to recipe instructions. Then allow them to cool and then transfer to a cookie sheet covered in wax or parchment paper and freeze. Once frozen (about an hour), stack them with a piece of wax or parchment paper in between or wrap individually in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer bag, and freeze. To serve, reheat in a microwave until heated through (about 1-2 minutes) or allow to thaw in the refrigerator.
Southwestern Burger Bowl with Avocado Goddess Dressing
HERBY TURKEY BURGERS
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
AVOCADO GODDESS DRESSING
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, dairy-free if desired
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz baby arugula
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, defrosted if needed (see notes)
- 1 (15-oz) can of black beans, drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- kernels cut from 2 ears of corn or 1 (15-oz) can of corn, drained
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 8 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds, optional
- Make the turkey burgers. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Shape into four burgers and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Once the oven is preheated, bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Make the avocado goddess dressing. Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the bowls (see notes for meal prep instructions). Get out four bowls or plates and put a big handful of baby arugula on each. Add a scoop of the cauliflower rice (about 1 cup) on top of the bed of arugula. Divide the drained black beans, halved cherry tomatoes, corn kernels, and red onion between the four plates. Top each plate with an herby turkey burger, drizzle with the desired amount of avocado goddess dressing, and garnish with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds.
CAULIFLOWER RICE (aka Riced Cauliflower)
You can buy cauliflower rice or make your own. Learn where to buy it and how to make it here.
Divide the cauliflower rice between four meal prep containers. Top with equal amounts of prepped black beans, cherry tomatoes, corn, and red onion. Add one herby turkey burger to each container. Keep the baby arugula, pumpkin seeds, and avocado dressing in separate airtight containers in the fridge. When ready to eat (or before leaving for work in the morning), add a handful of baby arugula to each bowl and top with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds, if using. Add the dressing right before eating.