Sweet Potato and Almond Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Sweet potatoes, kale and almonds are three of those staple items that I always have around, especially during the colder months of the year. Inexpensive, simple, nutritious and seasonally appropriate, this sweet potato and almond salad is my kind of salad. Not to mention it will last several days in the fridge, so make a big batch and dinner for a couple nights is done (thank you, kale). To turn this salad into a more substantive meal, add some protein and serve with a side of cornbread. (Because, cornbread).
Sweet Potato and Almond Salad
with Honey Mustard Dressing
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch of Lacinato kale (about 6 loosely packed cups), ribs removed, shredded and massaged with salt and olive oil
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Prep the sweet potatoes and kale. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the cut sweet potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the sweet potatoes onto two baking sheets and roast until browned and crispy, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Let cool slightly.
- Roughly chop the massaged kale into smaller pieces.
- Make the dressing. Whisk mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and honey until smooth. While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified.
- Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, mix together the kale, dressing, sweet potatoes, apple, and almonds. Garnish with shredded Parmesan, if using.