One of the best meal prep tips of all time is this: make a (really good) dressing or sauce and use it all week. A good dressing has the ability to elevate bowl staples – like basic proteins, grains, and veggies – to another level with very little effort.
The maple sunflower seed butter dressing for these humble sweet potato and roast chicken bowls does just that – it makes the meal. But don’t stop with these bowls. This zippy dressing – made with fresh lemon, orange, ginger, and maple sunflower seed butter – can also be used on kale salads, as an easy veggie dip, or as a spread or dipping sauce for wraps and sandwiches. Enjoy!Print
Sweet Potato and Roast Chicken Bowls with Maple Sunflower Seed Butter Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Sweet potato roast chicken bowls with maple sunflower seed dressing. An easy, healthy meal prep recipe that’s gluten-free with sunflower seed dressing.
Sweet Potatoes and Chicken
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, destemmed and thinly sliced
- extra virgin olive oil and salt
Maple Sunflower Seed Butter Dressing
- 4 tablespoons 88 Acres Maple Sunflower Seed Butter (or 4 tablespoons unsweetened creamy sunflower seed butter or almond butter plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons hulled sunflower seeds
- 5 tablespoons golden raisins
- Roast the sweet potatoes and the chicken. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange the cubed sweet potatoes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken breasts on another rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake the sweet potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Roast the chicken until it registers 165 degrees F (usually about 30-35 minutes). Once cooled, slice, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prep the kale. Add the kale to a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and massage until slightly wilted. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired thickness is reached. Transfer to a storage container or small jar and set aside. The dressing will thicken in the fridge, so thin with a little more warm water before serving, if needed.
- Pack the salad. Divide the sweet potatoes, chicken, and kale between five meal prep containers. Keep the dressing, sunflower seeds, raisins, and cilantro separate. When ready to eat, drizzle with 1/5th of the dressing and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds, 1 tablespoon of raisins, and garnish with cilantro.
Keywords: sweet potato chicken bowls, sunflower seed dressing
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.