Summer is for EASY (#imeanright). If it’s not effortless, forget it (…it can wait for another season). This watermelon, feta, and grilled chicken salad is what summer’s all about; salty, sweet, refreshing, and – most importantly – simple. To make it a full meal, we added grilled chicken, but feel free to omit it. Without the chicken, this would make a crowd-pleasing side salad at your end-of-summer (😭) parties. Pairs well with: rosé (surprised?) Or double down on the watermelon and try these watermelon lime cucumber coolers. Because too much watermelon isn’t a thing.
Watermelon is one of those foods that you’ll pay three (or four!) times as much for if you buy it pre-cut. To save money, buy a full watermelon (seedless, if possible) and cut into cubes all at once. Store the cubes in containers in the fridge and enjoy all week for snacking, this salad, or these watermelon cucumber lime coolers. It won’t last long, so you’ll be glad you saved the $.
We topped this salad with roasted pumpkin seeds (because: crunch is life), but sunflower seeds would work really well too. And if you can’t find white balsamic vinegar (we found it at Trader Joe’s), simply use regular balsamic vinegar (the feta just might take on a new color ;).
- ½ cup crumbled or cubed feta
- 6 tablespoons white balsamic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely pack basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 8 oz baby arugula
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- extra balsamic vinegar for drizzling, optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the feta, white balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the red onion, basil, and watermelon cubes. Toss to coat. (At this point, you can store the mixture covered in the fridge for several hours until ready to serve).
- When ready to serve, add the baby arugula and gently toss again.
- Top with sliced grilled chicken breast and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with a little extra balsamic, if desired.