Easy baked buffalo tofu! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this crispy tofu satisfies any buffalo sauce cravings while keeping it plant-based. It’s the perfect protein for salads, bowls, and wraps.
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter (or plant-based butter or coconut oil – see notes for brands)
- 3 tablespoons Frank’s hot sauce
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes. Wrap the tofu in a clean dishtowel and sandwich between two plates. Place a heavy pan or a few cookbooks on the top plate – I usually place the whole stack against a wall so that everything doesn’t topple over.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once the tofu is pressed, cut the tofu into 3/4-inch cubes and add to a large bowl. Add the olive oil, cornstarch, and garlic powder and gently toss so that the tofu is coated.
- Arrange the tofu evenly on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper for easy clean-up. Try to separate the tofu cubes so that none are touching (this will allow them to get crispier!).
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the tofu and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, make the buffalo sauce. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, turn off the heat and add the hot sauce. Whisk until well incorporated.
- When the tofu is done, add the baked tofu to a large bowl, add the buffalo sauce, and stir so that all the tofu is coated in the sauce.
- Serve! Enjoy in bowls, salads, tacos, wraps, or on pizza – ideally with ranch dressing (see notes).
Butter options. My favorite grass-fed butter of all time is Organic Valley cultured butter. For a less expensive, easy-to-find grass-fed option I like Kerrygold. Plant-based? I’m obsessed with Miyoko’s vegan butter or you can use coconut oil too.
Ranch dressing. I love this baked buffalo tofu with the vegan cashew ranch in the recipe section of this post or, if you’d prefer a store-bought option to save time, I like this clean ranch dressing (not vegan). The vegan cashew ranch recipe in this post might make more than you need for the baked buffalo tofu but it’s delicious on everything; I especially like it on shredded kale salads or on this barbecue chickpea socca pizza.
Keywords: baked buffalo tofu, buffalo tofu, crispy buffalo tofu