Healthy black bean zucchini bowls with creamy chipotle-tahini sauce! A quick, easy, and satisfying dinner recipe. Vegan and gluten-free.
Black Bean Zucchini Bowls
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large zucchini (or 4 small), cut into 1-inch sticks
- 6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (seeds removed if you prefer less heat)
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1–2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 lime
- sliced cabbage (or slaw mix) and cilantro for serving, optional
- Cook the quinoa. Add 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, decrease the heat to low, and cook 15-20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 5 minutes.
Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini, garlic, and jalapeño. Give a quick stir and then cook undisturbed for 1 minute. Season with salt and stir again. Cook for another minute or so until the zucchini is browned and tender.
Make the chipotle-tahini sauce. Add the tahini, water, adobo sauce (start with 1 tablespoon), lemon juice, garlic, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary to reach a pourable consistency. Season with more salt to taste, if needed.
Mix together 1 can of drained black beans with the cooked quinoa and the juice of one lime. Season with salt to taste.
Divide the black bean-quinoa mixture and the cooked zucchini between four bowls. Drizzle each with the chipotle-tahini sauce and garnish with sliced cabbage and cilantro, if using.
Keywords: zucchini bowls, black bean bowls, chipotle tahini sauce