These chai smoothie bowls are a warming, healthy breakfast for the colder months. Vegan, gluten-free, and paleo, they’re satisfying and full of flavor.
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1 frozen banana
- 1–2 pitted Medjool dates (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons seed or nut butter (I used 88 Acres Vanilla Spice Sunflower Butter), see notes
- 1 serving of protein powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- toppings of choixe like sliced banana, granola, seeds or nuts, and/or cinnamon, optional (we used this 88 Acres Chocolate & Sea Salt Seednola)
- First, brew the tea. In a small saucepan, add the non-dairy milk and chai tea bag. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a very low simmer for 5-10 minutes. Once the tea is brewed, remove the tea bag and allow the milk to come to room temperature.
Add the brewed non-dairy milk, frozen banana, dates, seed butter, protein powder (if using), vanilla extract, and pinch of salt in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Divide the smoothie between two bowls. Top with sliced banana, granola or seednola, extra seeds, and/or cinnamon, if desired.
Dates. The number of dates you use will depend on the sweetness of your protein powder and personal preference.
Nut-free? Easy. Try using a non-dairy milk like rice or oat milk. Instead of nut butter, use a seed butter, like this 88 Acres Vanilla Spice Sunflower Butter, and top with seeds and/or seednola, like this 88 Acres Chocolate & Sea Salt Seednola.
Keywords: chai smoothie, chai smoothie bowl, winter smoothie