An easy curry recipe that can be made with simple pantry ingredients and whatever vegetables you have on hand! Gluten-free, vegan, takes just 20 minutes to make, and is made in one pan.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk (I like full-fat)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of water (or less)
- 4–5 cups of vegetables and/or cooked protein and/or cooked beans (see notes)
- cooked brown rice or quinoa, cilantro, hot sauce, raisins, and/or lime for serving, all optional
- Prep the onion, garlic, ginger, and any vegetables you are using first.
- Heat the olive oil or coconut oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, minced garlic, and grated ginger, and a good pinch of salt and stir frequently until the onions are just softened.
- Add the curry powder and give everything a good stir so the onions, garlic, and ginger are coated in the powder.
- Add the coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water, and the vegetables you are using (see notes) and reduce heat slightly. Cook until the vegetables are just softened, about 10-15 minutes total, adding more water if the mixture begins to thicken too much (I usually add another 1/2 cup). If you are using cooked protein or cooked beans, add them last and cook until just warmed through.
- Season with a healthy amount of salt, to taste (don’t be shy – this recipe needs it!).
- Serve with cooked brown rice or quinoa, if desired, and top with any toppings you like.
In the photos, I used 1 small sweet potato (cubed), 2 cups of frozen broccoli, and 1 cup of cooked tofu (cubed) but the options are endless!
If you’re using a mix of vegetables, cook hard vegetables, like sweet potatoes or carrots, in the coconut curry mixture first until just soft (about 10 minutes). Then, add softer vegetables, like broccoli or baby spinach, and cook for another 5-ish minutes until vibrant in color. If using cooked protein or cooked beans, add them last and cook until just warmed through.
Keywords: easy curry, curry recipe, sweet potato curry