An easy, lemony, vegetable-packed pasta recipe, perfect for warm-weather nights. Made with gluten-free pasta, zucchini, leeks, garlic, and red pepper flakes for spice. Garnish with optional feta or Parmesan cheese. Gluten-free and vegetarian.
- 8 oz gluten-free fusilli or rotini pasta (I like chickpea or lentil for plant-based protein)
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch sticks (see notes)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed and white and pale-green parts thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese, for serving (dairy-free if desired and optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the zucchini. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini and season with salt. Give a quick stir and then cook undisturbed for a few minutes. Stir again and cook until the zucchini is browned and just tender on all sides. Remove the zucchini from the skillet. Lower the heat to medium.
- To the same skillet, add a generous drizzle of olive oil. Add the leeks, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a large pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until soft about 5 minutes. Add in the cooked zucchini and give everything a good stir.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the leeks. Stir to combine. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the mixture, stir again, and add more salt to taste.
- Save half of the pasta mixture for lunch tomorrow. Divide the remaining half between two bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta, if using.
Keywords: lemon zucchini pasta, easy zucchini pasta, lemony zucchini pasta, zucchini leek pasta