Sheet pan harissa chicken with sweet potatoes. A quick and easy weeknight meal made with chickpeas, a creamy, dairy-free tahini sauce, and garnished with cilantro. Paleo, gluten-free, with a vegan option (simply omit the chicken!).
Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (omit to keep it vegan as pictured)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 (15-oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste (use less if you prefer less heat or are omitting the chicken)
- 1 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken (omit for vegan), sliced onion, diced sweet potatoes, and drained chickpeas. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and add the zest and juice of 1 lemon, harissa paste, honey or maple syrup, and a large pinch of sea salt and pepper. Toss so that everything is coated and spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
Roast for 40-45 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dressing reaches a pourable consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, drizzle the harissa chicken and sweet potato mixture with the tahini sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Adapted from this recipe.
Keywords: sheet pan harissa chicken, harissa chicken, harissa sweet potatoes