The best dairy-free pesto! A healthy vegan pesto made with walnuts, basil, lemon, and garlic. Use it on pasta, zucchini noodles, polenta bowls, grilled veggies, sandwiches, etc.
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups gently packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add walnuts and garlic to a food processor and process until coarsely chopped, about 15 seconds. Add the basil and lemon juice and process until a paste begins to form.
- While processing, slowly add the olive oil, starting with 1/4 cup and slowly increasing as needed. Continue processing until the mixture is well combined, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper and process once more.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Storage. To keep pesto from browning, drizzle enough olive oil on top to completely cover to surface of the pesto. For longer storage, freeze pesto in ice cube trays, then transfer frozen cubes to an air-tight container. Thaw when ready to use.
Keywords: dairy-free pesto, healthy pesto, paleo pesto, vegan pesto