This is hands-down my favorite pesto. It’s made without Parmesan (gasp!), but I don’t think you’ll miss it in this dairy-free version, which is high in omega-3s (walnuts!) and more affordable to make than traditional pesto. I use it on zucchini noodles, polenta bowls, and even thin it out to make a great bánh mì inspired dressing. Enjoy!Print
The best dairy-free pesto! A healthy vegan pesto made with walnuts, basil, lemon, and garlic. Use it on pasta, zucchini noodles, polenta bowls, grilled veggies, sandwiches, etc.
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups gently packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add walnuts and garlic to a food processor and process until coarsely chopped, about 15 seconds. Add the basil and lemon juice and process until a paste begins to form.
- While processing, slowly add the olive oil, starting with 1/4 cup and slowly increasing as needed. Continue processing until the mixture is well combined, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper and process once more.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Storage. To keep pesto from browning, drizzle enough olive oil on top to completely cover to surface of the pesto. For longer storage, freeze pesto in ice cube trays, then transfer frozen cubes to an air-tight container. Thaw when ready to use.
Keywords: dairy-free pesto, healthy pesto, paleo pesto, vegan pesto
You Might Also Like
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.