Sweet potatoes, kale and almonds are three of those staple items that we always have around, especially during the colder months of the year. Inexpensive, simple, nutritious and seasonally appropriate, this sweet potato and almond salad is our kind of salad.
Not to mention it will last several days in the fridge, so make a big batch and dinner for a couple nights is done (thank you, kale). To turn this salad into a more substantive meal, add some protein and serve with a side of cornbread. Because, cornbread.Print
Sweet Potato and Almond Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Sweet potato and almond salad with honey-mustard dressing is a simple, satisfying and nutritious fall or winter meal. Gluten-free, paleo, and vegan-friendly.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, plus a little olive oil to massage the kale
- 1 small bunch of Lacinato kale (about 6 loosely packed cups), ribs removed, shredded and massaged with salt and olive oil
- 1 apple, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- ¼ cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the cut sweet potatoes with enough oil to lightly coat (about 1 tablespoon) and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the sweet potatoes onto two baking sheets and roast until browned and crispy, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Let cool slightly.
- Roughly chop the massaged kale into smaller pieces.
- Make the dressing. Whisk mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and honey until smooth. While whisking, slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix together the kale, dressing, sweet potatoes, apple, and almonds. Garnish with shredded parmesan if using.
Keywords: sweet potato salad, kale salad, honey mustard dressing
Leave a Reply