This broccoli detox salad with pesto is one of my favorite types of salads. It’s the kind of salad that ages well… meaning it actually gets better in the fridge after a few days. And it’s totally customizable. I use the finely chopped broccoli and pesto dressing as a salad base and then add all the things depending on what I have on hand. Extra roasted veggies from the week? In they go. Extra cilantro and parsley (always)? It all works.
Kept in the fridge, this salad makes a great starting point for quick and easy meals throughout the week. Add some cooked quinoa (one of my favorite pseudo-grains because it cooks in 15 minutes!) and some dried fruit to make it more substantial. Or throw in some rotisserie chicken or hardboiled eggs for extra protein.
My other favorite way to use this salad: salad pizza! Lightly sauté the broccoli pesto base in some olive oil and then use it to top the Trader Joe’s cauliflower pizza crust (cook the crust first). Then top with some goat cheese or grass-fed cheddar, broil for 4-5 minutes, and voilá, healthy salad pizza in 20 minutes or less.
Let’s talk about pesto for a minute. My all-time favorite pesto is the Loveleaf Co. classic: the best dairy-free pesto. My other go-to (great if you’re short on time) is the Trader Joe’s vegan kale pesto, which can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle (near the tofu, tempeh, and other sauces). Either one will work in this recipe.Print
Broccoli detox salad with pesto. An easy prep-ahead salad full of healthy crunch and pesto flavor that will last in the fridge for several days! Pair with protein and a gluten-free grain to make it a full meal.
- 1/4 cup pre-made pesto (I use this version or the vegan kale pesto from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted walnuts or roasted almonds
- salt and pepper
- suggested add-ins: dried cranberries or chopped dates (not Medjool), chopped fresh herbs, sliced scallions, and/or avocado
- suggested starch: cooked quinoa or roasted fingerling potatoes
- suggested protein: hardboiled eggs or roasted chicken
- Make the pesto dressing. In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup (more if desired) of pre-made pesto with the juice of half a lemon and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well and season with salt, pepper, and extra lemon juice to taste.
- Prep and add the veggies. Finely chop 1 head broccoli (I like the stems too!) and add to the bowl with the pesto dressing. Add in the chopped walnuts or almonds. Give a good stir and season with salt and pepper. This is your base.
- Add in any extras. (Where it gets fun.) Add in any of the suggested options above and/or any extra vegetables or herbs you have in the fridge. Give a good stir and cover. Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before eating so the flavors can meld.
Storage. This salad will last several days in the fridge. Enjoy whenever you need a quick and healthy meal throughout the week!
Keywords: broccoli salad, pesto salad, detox salad
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.