Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi has quickly become a cult favorite. And for good reason – it’s easy to cook and made with just a few simple ingredients: 75% cauliflower, cassava flour, potato starch, extra-virgin olive oil, and sea salt. A great, veggie-based pasta alternative that’s all the things: vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and paleo. I’m sold.
There’s nothing more comforting than a creamy pasta sauce this time of year but, unfortunately, most of the store-bought options aren’t that good for you (…super heavy, full of low-quality dairy products, and a ton of calories). And healthy, homemade creamy sauces are usually kind of complicated to make. But this creamy (vegan!) butternut squash sauce is healthy and easy.
Because I’m all about the #lazyhealthy life, I used the organic canned butternut squash purée from Trader Joe’s, which saves you hours (literally) from roasting and puréeing the squash yourself. And since the sauce is mostly butternut squash and the cauliflower gnocchi is mostly cauliflower, this meal is… mostly vegetables. Comforting, creamy, and rich but full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fiber. 👊🏼
You’ll likely have extra butternut squash sauce, but that’s not a problem. Simply save the extra sauce and use on your favorite pasta, grain-bowl, or healthy pizza (I’m really into this crust or socca pizza crust) later in the week. Or freeze the sauce and defrost for an even faster weeknight meal later this season.Print
Cauliflower gnocchi with creamy (vegan!) butternut squash sauce and sage. A healthy, easy dinner recipe that’s full of satisfying, comforting fall flavors. Gluten-free, paleo, vegan, and dairy-free.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy!)
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 can Trader Joe’s organic butternut squash purée
- 2 packages of Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi
- grated Parmesan for garnish, optional
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sage and give a good stir. Let the sage get crispy and then transfer to a small bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk and butternut squash purée and stir to combine.
- Carefully transfer the hot butternut squash mixture to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse out the skillet and cook the Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi according to package instructions. Once cooked, add butternut squash sauce to coat (as much as you like – you might have some sauce leftover). Divide the gnocchi between four bowls and garnish with fried sage and grated Parmesan, if desired.
You’ll likely end up with extra butternut squash sauce. Save in an airtight container in the fridge and add to pasta or grain bowls throughout the week. Or freeze to save for later!
Keywords: butternut squash sauce, butternut squash pasta, butternut squash gnocchi
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. There is no additional cost to you. I only link to products I truly recommend and trust.